Trade Union Unison has produced a well-researched report on England’s housing problems.
- More new, good quality council and social rented homes
- A new definition of affordable housing, linked to people’s incomes rather than market rents
- Protection for social rented housing stock
- An overhaul to the welfare system, to provide families with adequate support
- An overhaul to regeneration schemes
- New standards and consumer redress, to give a voice to social tenants
- New regulations to make renting stable and affordable
To start to address this, we need to build 150,000 homes for social rent. People on modest incomes need decent and affordable homes – CLTs, like HCLT can play a role in this.